× HOME PLACES TO VISIT THINGS TO DO TOWNS WHAT'S ON GALLERY
LOCH CAIRLINN
PLACES TO VISIT
There is so much to see around the Carlingford Lough area on both sides of the border. Medieval buildings, lighthouses, beaches, ancient tombs and stunning scenery await you. Why not come visit and explore for yourself – you won’t be disappointed!
Carlingford Priory
Carlingford, Co. Louth

Also known as Carlingford Abbey or Carlingford Friary. The Priory dates from the early 14th Century and was dedicated to St. Malachy and was probably founded by Richard de Burgh, the 2nd Earl of ...

more...
Haulbowline Lighthouse
Carlingford Lough, Co. Louth

Haulbowline is an active 19th century lighthouse sitting at the entrance channel into Carlingford Lough. It was built on a wave washed rock which is only visible at low tide. The lightho...

more...
Carlingford Heritage Centre
Carlingford, Co. Louth

The Church of Holy Trinity, Carlingford has been leased to the Carlingford Lough Heritage Trust by the Church of Ireland Community and was refurbished as the Carlingford Heritage Centre in 1991/1...

more...
Clontygora Court Tomb
Newry, Co. Armagh

Clontygora Court Tomb is situated in South Armagh (off the Flagstaff Road).  Clontygora comes from the Irish ‘Chluainte Gabhra’ meaning ‘meadow of goats’ but is known l...

more...
Ross Monument
Rostrevor, Co. Armagh

The Ross Monument, Rostrevor was erected in front of Carlingford Lough in 1826 thanks to subscriptions of more than £2,300 received from the fellow army officers of Robert Ross and residents ...

more...
Ballymacdermott Court Tomb
Newry, Co. Down

Ballymacdermot Court Tomb dates from about 3500BC. It has survived through the years and even withstood an assault by an American tank in WWII which accidentally bumped into it.  It is one of ...

more...
Cloughmore
Rostrevor, Co. Armagh

The Cloughmore, derived from the Irish ‘An Chloch Mhór’ which means ‘The Big Stone’  is a huge granite boulder found about 300metres above the village of Rostrev...

more...
Castletown Motte
Dundalk, Co. Louth

Castletown Motte, also known as Cúchulainn’s Castle is a circular motte situated just west of Dundalk. The motte is built on the site of a pre-Christian fort called Dún Dealgan ...

more...
Flagstaff Viewing Point
Newry, Co. Armagh
The Flagstaff Viewing point/Barr an Fheadáin lies just over the border from Omeath, Co. Louth, in County Armagh and offers fantastic views over Carlingford Lough as the Mountains of Mourne swe...
more...
Greenore Lighthouse
Greenore, Co. Louth

The Greenore lighthouse was built in 1830 by George Halpin Senior.  Its domed light, red wrought-iron surround railing and weather vane make it a dominating feature when you turn the corner to...

more...
Greer's Quay
Ballyoonan, Co. Louth

Greer's Quay, Ballyoonan, Omeath was commissioned to be built by Robert Walker Greer, a local landowner, in the 1840s to help develop Carlingford Lough’s fishing industry.  He also b...

more...
Killeavy Old Churches
Killeavy, Co. Armagh

Killevy old churches sit beautifully and peacefully  on the slopes of Slieve Gullion surrounded by majestic trees.  “Cill Shléibhe Cuilinn”, the Irish name means &lsquo...

more...
Kilwirra Church Ruins
Templetown, Co. Louth

The old graveyard and church ruins at Kilwirra/Cill Mhuire Church and Cemetery is situated at Templetown on the Cooley Peninsula surrounded by farmland nestled in the Cooley Mountains. The name Kil...

more...
King John's Castle
Carlingford, Co. Louth

The origins of development of Carlingford appear to lie in the construction of King John’s Castle by the Norman, Hugh de Lacy between 1190 and 1210. It is believed that it was so named becaus...

more...
Narrow Water Keep
Warrenpoint, Co. Down

There has been a keep on the site of Narrow Water since 1212.  It was originally built by Hugh de Lacy to help prevent attacks on Newry along the river as part of the areas Norman fortificatio...

more...
Newry River Range Lighthouses
Omeath, Co. Louth

‘Newry River Range Front’ and ‘Newry River Range Rear’ - or Newry River Range Leading Lights as they are known are situated along the shore at Omeath, opposite Narrow Water ...

more...
Proleek Dolmen
Proleek, Co. Louth

The Proleek Dolmen is set in the grounds of Ballymascanlon Hotel and it is one of the finest examples of a portal tomb /dolmen in Irel...

more...
Essmore Bridge
Omeath, Co. Louth

As the Ryland/Essmore River enters Carlingford Lough you can view the remains of the Essmore railway bridge where the railway line crossed the Ryland River. The stream starts on the north face of S...

more...
St Andrew's Church
Omeath, Co. Louth

St Andrew's Church, Omeath is dated back to 1838 and closed in 1990. It was de-consecrated in 1992 and has now been converted into a dwelling place. The former St Andrew's Protestant Churc...

more...
Deserted Village
Carlingford, Co. Louth

The deserted village /Cnoc na Mona/Pre Famine village

 The Deserted village or Pre Famine village lies on the slopes of Barnavave in the Cooley Mountains just above Ca...

more...
Tullagh Bridge
Omeath, Co. Louth

Tullagh or Tulla Bridge is a little bridge in the townland of  Tullagh Omeath (Tulach Ó Méith meaning the Hill of Omeath). It was built during famine times by local craftsmen who...

more...
Victoria Locks
Newry, Co. Armagh

This is the first lock on the Newry Ship Canal.  It was designed by Sir John Rennie  and built by William Dargan in the 1840s.  It was the entry point for larger sea going vessels to...

more...
St Bronagh's Bell
Rostrevor, Co. Down

Kilbroney Graveyard and St. Bronagh’s (Cill Bhronaigh) bell


Above the village of Rostrevor, on the Kilbroney Road, you will find the ruins of the ancient church...

more...
Long woman's grave
Corrakit, Co. Louth

The Long Woman's Grave marks the resting place of Cauthleen, a Spanish lady said to be over 7 foot tall.  On a voyage to Spain, Lorcan O'Hanlon saved the life of Cauthleen and fell in ...

more...
Mass Rocks
Newry, Co. Down

A Mass Rock or Carraig an Aifrinn was a rock used as an altar in an isolated location to say mass and hold religious ceremonies in the mid 17th century during the penal times. A stone would often b...

more...
Taaffe's Castle
Carlingford, Co. Louth

Taaffe's Castle is a fortified medieval townhouse and it was probably the home of a wealthy merchant. The Taaffe family became Earls of Carlingford in the middle of the 17th Century and the cas...

more...
The Mint
Carlingford, Co. Louth

The mint is one of 3 fortified townhouses in Carlingford (the others being Taaffe's Castle and King John's Castle). It is 3 storeys high forming a parallelogram in plan. Little historical i...

more...
The Tholsel
Carlingford, Co. Louth

The ‘Tholsel’ was one of 4 town gateways in the town wall around Medieval Carlingford and is the only one remaining.  It stands at the entrance to Tholsel Street and dates back to ...

more...
Carlingford Old Station House
Carlingford, Co. Louth

The Old Station House for the Dundalk, Newry and Greenore Railway (DNGNR) line was an attractive Victorian railway station which opened in August 1876.   It is also remembered as ‘T...

more...
Dundalk Famine Graveyard
Dundalk, Co. Louth

The Irish Famine was the greatest tragedy in Irish History. Between 1845 and 1848 about a million people died. Many of these people are buried in unmarked graves. These pictures depict one of these...

more...
Silent Valley
Kilkeel, Co. Down

The Silent Valley and Ben Crom reservoirs were built to gather water from the mountains over most of the High Mournes. The reservoirs are surrounded by mountains and the grounds contain parkland, ...

more...